[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fwd: Boot fails after install, Proliant DL320 G8. Ok on Sun X4170

Chris Quayle syseng at gfsys.co.uk
Sun Mar 10 01:18:07 UTC 2019

On 03/09/19 20:25, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> Am 09.03.19 um 20:39 schrieb Chris Quayle:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Complete newbie with Illumos, but have been around Sun systems since
>> Sun 3. Just wanted to get started and used a DL320 G8, dual core cpu,
>> 8Gb memory 3.5" single 1Tb sata drive, onboard graphics.
>>
>> Cut a dvd and went through the install procedure and already like
>> the uncluttered mate desktop, used on several FreeBSD machines
>> here. Took less than an hour to install, but fails to boot. Messages
>> are:
>>
>>> illumos/X86 ZFS enabled bootstrap loader, revision 1.1
>>> ZFS: can't find pool by guid
>>> ZFS: can't find pool by guid

>>> start not found
>>
>>> Type '?'.... etc
>>> ok
>>
>> Assumed my fault, so ran through the install again, but
>> with the same result.
>>
>> Ran through the install using an earlier Sun X4170 machine,
>> which did install with no problems and reboots as expected.
>>
>> No idea what the start refers to and a web search didn't help
>> either. Would like to get it running on the DL320, as it
>> runs at around 40-50 watts line power, less than half that of
>> the X4170...
>>
>> Regards&  Thanks,
>>
>> Chris
> I am running latest OI/Hipster on a DL380 Gen8 without problems.
> But this one has a SAS HBA (P420i).
> If the disk has been used before and not cleaned it may cause these
> problems.
> Maybe you need to clean the disk before the installation?
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Andreas,

Thanks for that. Formatted the drive with no partitions and did a
dd to zero the first few blocks and it all works. One question, if
all the defaults are taken, the partition editor says it's using ntfs
file system, where a Solaris layout might have been expected ?. Not
that it matters, but would a Solaris layout work as well ?. Perhaps
give it a try on another disk later.

Am using the DL320 in SATA mode, bypassing hw raid and not sure if
that would work anyway, as the B120 raid controller seems to have
a few quirks of it's own. If it's any use for hcl, the machine
does seem to install and run OpenIndiana.

Am trying to get up to date with evaluating all the bsd's and other
os's this year on various more modern hardware, as time and funds
permit. Keep getting pulled back to FreeBSD so far, but Openindiana
looks a really pro effort with very clean install. Do electronics
and embedded systems here and no os dev experience, but will feed
back anything found...

Regards,

Chris