[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI new user questions - 2

Kalle Anka knatte_fnatte_tjatte at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 17:54:12 UTC 2020

 > Did you switch from UEFI to legacy BIOS boot mode?> In what way does it fail?
Yes I tried to boot the usb stick both in UEFI and BIOS mode. Both fail. In what way? I see some error messages in the dmesg output. I have pasted that long dmesg output in a reply here with date: Wed Dec 9 20:47:35 UTC 2020, you can read that mail for more information. But it seems that X11 does not start. The screen flickers thrice and then exits to command line.
    On Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 01:40:51 AM GMT+1, John D Groenveld <groenveld at acm.org> wrote:

 In message <964006845.3629689.1607454331391 at mail.yahoo.com>, Kalle Anka via ope
nindiana-discuss writes:
> blogs, it seems that Bhyve does support GPU passthrough, but do not support U
>SB passthrough, which means it is problematic to use keyboard and mouse in the

Your existing mainboard might have multiple embedded USB controllers
in which case you could dedicate one for your gamer VM.
Or you could add an additional USB controller.`

> VM. So I want to investigate this more, either OI + Bhyve, or OI + KVM, for G
>PU passthrough and Windows gaming.

Happy hacking,
John
groenveld at acm.org