[OpenIndiana-discuss] Determine path to usb stick frm `rmformt -l' output

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Dec 19 01:55:45 UTC 2020

Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> writes:

[...]

> The usbcopy command may not work anymore.  Here's what I usually do,
> starting with the usb image:

[...] Snipped a very excellent detailed walk thru. I will try that but
once John G made me see I'd missed some very important para in
handbook, since I have a win10 host running, I tried first
win32diskimager.  At first I could not get it to work without an error
5 that stops the action.  googling around I found an oldish messge
where the author said he'd found that  turning off specific aspects of
all the junk acronis installs, including a number of services

a bit from that article:
,----
| "- I use Acronis True Image 2018
| and this includes the "Acronis Active Protection Service" capability to
| prevent ransomware attacking any previously created disk backup image
| files - on any/every connected drive!
|
| - So simply use Task Manager to select this process and then 'End
|   Process' and the Error 5 problem goes away...."
`----

I found several services started by acronis  and stopped them all.
Then the imager worked right away.

Its a raspberry forum:
 https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65034

Other posters there chided that fellow for responding to a 3 year old
message ... but it worked for me.  Other posters mentioned a newer
tool that works better I guess.  Something called the belinaEtcher.
You'll find it on a google for that name if interested.

On that raspberry group forum they seemed to think it was quite good.
We might aught to mention in handbook if a few of us try it and it is
good.

John D Groenveld <groenveld at acm.org> writes:

Gary wrote:
> In message <20201218160916.GA17801 at imap.fastmail.com>, Gary Mills writes:
>>The usbcopy command may not work anymore.  Here's what I usually do,

John G replied:
> The handbook is clear that usbcopy is legacy:
> <URL:http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/#creating-a-hipster-usb-drive>

> John
> groenveld at acm.org

Thanks John for making me read the rest of that section... I must of
thought I was done before I got to it.  Or it just slipped out of my
pea brain.

I've got the usb image burnt with the win32imager but haven't been
able to try it yet as I'm still moving data off that host with
`send/recv' in case I really dork it up.  I'm installing two new 320 GB
sata drives to replace the disks I have mirroring the OS.  Once
installed I will attempt installing from the usb image I've made.