[OpenIndiana-discuss] Nvidia Geforce 1650 and Driver Updates

russell stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 15:45:48 UTC 2020

Hi

Since replacing my Geforce 750TI with a Geforce 1650 OC card, I have
found a some information.

1. The Nvidia Solaris x86 Driver download NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-455.28.run
is the best driver to use with the Geforce 1650 OC.

2. Any driver after NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-455.28.run like
NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-455.38.run and NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-455.45.01.run cause
a CPU panic along with a core dump during installation.
     I have found that it pays to create a clone of the current active
boot environment and testing the driver in the clone, this allows easy
recovery by selecting the original boot environment and deleting the clone.

     Has anyone tried these drivers? I believe Nvidia have included
security fixes for Intel CPUs which maybe the cause of the problem (I
have Dual Opteron 2435)

3. Since upgrading to OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.10 Version
illumos-8b1df8bf71, the problem I have with my computer rebooting after
failing to start Lightdm has improved generally compared to earlier
releases.

    Dec 19 - 2 reboots
    Dec 20 - 3 reboots
    Dec 21 - 2 reboots
    Dec 22 - 3 reboots
    Dec 23 - 3 reboots
    Dec 24 - 32 reboots (almost 2 hours of reboots)
    Dec 25 - 1 reboot
    Dec 26 - 1 reboot
    Dec 27 - 6 reboots
    Dec 28 - 2 reboots
    Dec 29 - 7 reboots

    Unfortunately Dec 24 was the exception not sure why

Regards

Russell