[OpenIndiana-discuss] And OpenZFS vs ZFS

John D Groenveld groenveld at acm.org
Wed Dec 30 15:13:39 UTC 2020

In message <1414657364.3454586.1609328337346 at mail.yahoo.com>, Kalle Anka via op
enindiana-discuss writes:
>BTW. Earlier I reported that OpenZFS renders ZFS disks unusable: If you import
> a zpool v28 and ZFS v5, into Linux using OpenZFS, then Solaris 11.3 cannot im
>port the zpool again. Someone suggested that Linux OpenZFS renames the disks a
>s "/dev/sda" instead of "/dev/c0t0d0" in the zpool. So this problem could mayb
>e be fixed by importing and exporting the zpool by a illumos distro which woul
>d automatically rename the "/dev/sda" entries to "/dev/c0t0d0" back which mean
>s Solaris v11.3 could import the zpool. I have not tested this yet, but it sou
>nds plausible?

Not to my ears.

I have no problems moving a zpool between OI, Void Linux running
OpenZFS 2.0, and Oracle Solaris.

When you create the pool under OpenZFS, you must set pool version
to 28 and disable features.

Per zpool(1M),
<URL:https://www.illumos.org/man/1M/zpool>
# zpool create -d -o version=28 pool vdev

John
groenveld at acm.org