[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Kalle Anka knatte_fnatte_tjatte at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 30 20:52:08 UTC 2020

 @Andreas,>Adding a desktop on top of OmniOSce is A LOT OF WORK. Maintaining a
>desktop is quite more complex than focussing on the server aspects of an
>OS alone. The amount of work that is already done
>for OI (many parts of it inherited from OpenSolaris) is tremendous. If
>"we" start this endeavour it will most probably mean that you won't see
>anything in months if not years.Yes, I understand it is a lot of work to add a desktop on OmniOS. But, which is less work, maintain an entire OS like OI, or maintain a desktop ontop OmniOS? If it is more work to maintain a desktop ontop OmniOS, then we should not merge the OSes. But if there is less work, then it might be an idea to merge the OSes.
>In my eyes it will kill OI and in the end will leave Tribblix as the
>only illumos based desktop OS.I did not know you are the only OI developer (working on your spare time). That does not sound good at all. How long can you endure to work alone? I dont feel too tempted to join a community with only one maintainer. Do we expect an inflow of fresh developers into OI, if not, it is already dead. How does the future for OI look like? Andy working alone on his spare time? That is not sustainable. OI will slowly die with only one developer. What can be done to stop this evolution? If we dont join forces, OpenSolarish will die. Do we want that?When I google, it says that OmniOS is illumos? But apparently it is not? Can someone explain? What is the disadvantage of OmniOS not being illumos?
Tribblix, how large is that team? Dont they want to join forces and work with us? Or do they prefer to work alone? Imagine Andy and the Tribblix team working on either OI, or on a desktop ontop OmniOS - that would give momentum and might attract people. Something radical needs to be done to break the downwards spiraling circle. Should we try to constructively discuss that or let OpenSolarish die, so we all are forced to go to FreeBSD or even worse - Linux? What do we want? What do Andy want? What do Lauren want? (It seems some people are against merging). What do _you_ want?

@Bob FriesenhanI understand OmniOS and OI have different use cases. But is it bad to base a desktop ontop a server OS? Are there not less work to base a desktop ontop a stable server os?