[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI new user questions

Kalle Anka knatte_fnatte_tjatte at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 30 16:34:20 UTC 2020

 I did use Ubuntu LTS for several years, and I had problems with the LTS distro. People have been helping me. They say to get a stable Linux environment, I should only install packages from the same distro and never install binaries from the web. If I really want to install software not included in the Ubuntu LTS repo, I must compile it myself. This is the way to have a stability Linux without crashing. There are many warnings about "Frankendebian" - i.e. you start with Debian Stable which is fine. Then you add binaries from the web, so you have left the stable environment and now have an unstable Frankendebian. This is a recipe for disaster, everybody say. So stay on Ubuntu LTS and compile everything yourself, and then you have a stable Linux. If you install binaries from the web, you will get problems.
To me this is strange. I can install what binaries I want to, in Windows 10. Games, Photoshop, etc - and Win10 does not crash or becomes unstable. Neither do Solaris. It seems that only Linux has this common stability problem, and it has even a name "frankendebian". Google that.