[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Kalle Anka knatte_fnatte_tjatte at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 09:27:46 UTC 2020

 Guys, my apologies for yahoo mail eliminating the new lines and make a huge Wall of Text. I always paragraph well, but yahoo messes everything up. I will try to separate paragraphs with dots now.
.
@Peter Tribble,You have a point in that it is easier for a lone developer to do what he wants, in his own pace because no one will mess up his distro However, the existence of OpenSolarish is threatened, and if we want OpenSolarish to live and thrive, we maybe need to think differently? If we just continue to do what we always have done, the outcome will be the same. To change the outcome, we need to act differently. Just look at OpenZFS. If the illumos ZFS developers have acted differently, there would be no fork of OpenZFS. As an outsider, it is clear to me that we need to join forces, all of us in the OpenSolarish camp. Lest OpenSolarish will not survive.
.
Peter, how about this suggestion then? We always use the latest OmniOS LTS as a base? LTS distros are more stable, and exists for 3 years. Then a lone developer has 3 years time to do whatever he wants in his own pace. No one messes up the LTS distro during that time. Could this suggestion work for a lone developer? What is your opinion on always using LTS distro as the base, and adding a desktop environment ontop?