[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Dec 30 19:57:40 UTC 2020

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020, Kalle Anka via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> I bet many more than I, would be very excited in one unified illumos
> distro where we merge OmniOS and OI. I understand there is lot of
> prestige involved, but if we dont do want OpenSolaris to diminish
> and die to Linux, we all maybe should put aside the prestige? :)

Many people would not be exited since the two distributions have very
different objectives (extreme stability & spartan footprint vs
rapid-release + full desktop).

If you were actually using these two distributions for some time, the
difference in objectives would be obvious.

There appears to be quite a lot of sharing going on since the source
repositories are shared and common elements get pushed up to Illumos.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt