[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Thu Dec 31 21:05:53 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-31 04:25, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> [...]
>>> attention in the FOSS world, and the OpenSolarish community. More
>>> people will be exposed to your work, and benefit from it. There are
>>> already lot of work done by OmniOS, you and the OI devs could
>>> leverage their work? What is your thought of working with a new set
>>> of talented developers creating something new together that we all
>>> could benefit from? Is there too much prestige involved for this to
>>> be realistic?
>> Most OI maintainers are "dormant" at the moment. I have been the only
>> active member with commit rights for roughly three months now.
>> We don't even have enough people to test important things, eg. I have
>> asked to test and look at an update of bind without any reaction for
>> almost two weeks now.
>>
>> Adding a desktop on top of OmniOSce is A LOT OF WORK. Maintaining a
>> desktop is quite more complex than focussing on the server aspects of
>> an OS alone. The amount of work that is already done
>> for OI (many parts of it inherited from OpenSolaris) is tremendous. If
>> "we" start this endeavour it will most probably mean that you won't
>> see anything in months if not years.
>> In my eyes it will kill OI and in the end will leave Tribblix as the
>> only illumos based desktop OS.
>>
>> I haven't been involved in the earlier discussions but only read the
>> messages then. I just started to be more active at that time and
>> didn't feel experienced enough to take part at the discussion.
>> Today I am not sure whether a unification would be a good idea. Not
>> because I don't want to work with the OmniOSce guys but because we
>> have different interests. Sure, we share some technologies,
>> like illumos, the boot loader and IPS. But OmniOSce is targeted as a
>> server OS because that's the only area where people are willing to pay
>> for things. OmniOSce is a product of some companies
>> while OI is an all-purpose OS with a desktop created by people in
>> their spare time without any monetary interests (at least to my
>> knowledge).
>> OmniOSce paying customers won't pay more to get a desktop and I don't
>> expect that they will get many new paying desktop users. So there
>> wouldn't be much to win for OmniOSce.
>>
>> Andreas
>>
> Just to add to my former answer:
>
> What OI is not lacking is management, good ideas, recommendations. But
> what we are lacking is
>
> - Infrastructure: we only have a single build VM provided by EveryCity,
> who started OI but abandoned it in favour of SmartOS. We also only have
> a single package server provided by them.
>    Thus, there are big obstackles to test things. This is hard for the
> maintainers and hard for the users or anybody who wants to contribute
> but lacks knowledge to be able to care for packages.
> - Helpers of any kind: testers, documentors, maintainers, developers.
> This is partly due to the lack of infrastructure, partly due to the fact
> that former maintainers have been overworked
I am a maintainer of some 160 FreeBSD ports, and as a result use jail(8)s
extensively to support this. I run a server farm with a fat pipe. I'm
using the new year to make some adjustments to my current work flow.
If OI needs additional CPU cycles. I would be inclined to accommodate
those needs. Please feel free to contact me off list if this seems
appealing. Where we could discuss the logistics.

In the broader scope of this thread. IMHO OI is pretty damn good in
it's current incarnation. I would dearly hate to see any drastic changes
made to it's infrastructure. Aside from perhaps additional man hours,
and developers "pitching in". :-)

--Chris