[OpenIndiana-discuss] basic send/recv coaching please

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Nov 30 18:38:03 UTC 2020

Sorry this is so basic.  I've done a bit send/recv but never like
below:

I want the root filesystem saved on remote host (which I have yet
to do) I'm trying it like this

[NOTE: both hosts running latest oi/hipster updated 11/29

sending hostname 2x:
,----
| NAME                                USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
| rpool/ROOT                         82.0G   530G    23K  legacy
| rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2020:11:17  22.4M   530G  23.6G  /
| rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2020:11:19  34.3M   530G  24.0G  /
| rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2020:11:26  22.8M   530G  24.1G  /
| rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2020:11:29  81.9G   530G  24.0G  /
`----

Recv hostname oi0:

created empty zfs fs
,----
| p1/red42x  <= empty
 `----

then from sending host:

Sending host
,----
|   zfs send -v rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2020:11:29 at 201129-130122 |ssh oi0 zfs recv -v p1/red42x
`----

Its running right now, but I can see on `recv' host:
,----
| p1/red42x/openindiana-2020:11:29
`----

However on `recv' host `ls -al /red42x' shows nothing.

Maybe the recv host hides the incoming data until finished?

One question I have .. first is the command about right?

But then once some time passes and I make a full update on the `sending'
host.  I guess I would have to do it all over again since the BE name
will have changed.

My last question introduces a new element that I have not yet tried.

I want to find out what `incremental' (send -i) really means:

So I might use the same snapshot I used to make the initial transfer
as snap1 and a newer one snap2 and send like so:

Assume the `send' host has sent pl/mydata to the recv host

Assume recv host has received the sent data  and has it like this

 p1/data  at /data

would my incremental send look like:

zfs send -i  pl/data at snap1 pl/data at newersnap2|ssh rhost zfs recv -v p1/data

So the differences between snap1 and snap2 will be sent right into
`recv' host `/data' and will bring `/data/' up to date of newest snap?

Something like if one were to rsync data to remote host and later
rsync the same with newer changes to refresh the sent data.

I know I've left out some details such as mountpoints and such but is
this generally the way it is supposed to work?