[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installation in KVM for OSS porting

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Mon Oct 19 16:29:26 UTC 2020

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 at 05:56, Till Wegmüller <toasterson at gmail.com> wrote:
> This escape sequence is the "Print Screen" Button. Spice clients use
> that keypress as keep-alive signal. The "Print screen" Button is unknown
> to illumos, solaris as Sun keyboards did not use to have that key. We
> noticed some months ago and added support for that key so this should
> not happen anymore. I though this was already in 2020.04 but maybe not.

I don't believe it is the Print Screen key, but rather the Scroll Lock
key.  I had this issue myself with the SPICE console used by default
in many libvirt/KVM systems, and it was fixed in illumos as:

    11501 Scroll Lock translation to control sequence is patently unhelpful

    https://www.illumos.org/issues/11501

While the workaround of using the "VNC" client mode instead of SPICE
should help, I wonder why the bug is still occurring?  Is it possible
that the 2020.04 DVD was built with illumos from prior to 2019-08-01
when this bug was fixed?

If the install media includes the fix for 11501, but still exhibits
the symptoms, it would be good to log another bug and mark it related
so that we can get it fixed.  In general, anything that needs to be
"worked around" is a bug and it can almost certainly be fixed -- but
only if it gets reported!

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow