[OpenIndiana-discuss] Layout of zfs fs

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Sun Oct 25 21:40:59 UTC 2020

Hi Harry!

> So should I create the zfs fs  by
> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local p0/local
> zfs create ... p0/local/src
> zfs create ... p0/local/src/git
>
> (the -p option may be useful above.. I just want it
> to be clear what is being done)
>
> ending with /usr/local/src/git
>
> OR like this:
>
> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local p0/local
> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local/src  p0/src
> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local/src/git  p0/git

Certainly the former.  If you use the second version, all three moint-
points will be "local".  In the first version, the second (src) and
third mountpoints will be "inherited".

So if you one day decide that you have seen the light and want to con-
vert to The One True local Mountpoint as Our Lord Intended It, you can
just change the first mount point to /opt/local, and the rest will
automatically inherit the new setting.

Cheers -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"