[OpenIndiana-discuss] Layout of zfs fs

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Oct 26 01:19:58 UTC 2020

vab at bb-c.de (Volker A. Brandt) writes:

[...]

>> So should I create the zfs fs  by
>> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local p0/local
>> zfs create ... p0/local/src
>> zfs create ... p0/local/src/git
>>
>> (the -p option may be useful above.. I just want it
>> to be clear what is being done)
>>
>> ending with /usr/local/src/git
>>
>> OR like this:
>>
>> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local p0/local
>> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local/src  p0/src
>> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local/src/git  p0/git
>
> Certainly the former.  If you use the second version, all three moint-
> points will be "local".  In the first version, the second (src) and
> third mountpoints will be "inherited".
>
> So if you one day decide that you have seen the light and want to con-
> vert to The One True local Mountpoint as Our Lord Intended It, you can
> just change the first mount point to /opt/local, and the rest will
> automatically inherit the new setting.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sounds like the inherited mount point rates pretty high in your notion
of what works best.

I suspect you have other reasons as well, and I would like to hear
about them if you don't mind expounding a bit more.

For example:
What baring[sp] would either way have on the ability to `send/receive'?

I'm very inexperienced in send/receive:

In the method you prefer, and the first on shown in OP, can $USER
`send/receive' the whole of `local/src/git' in one move?  Or would it
need to be broken down into three send/receive sessions?