[OpenIndiana-discuss] Layout of zfs fs

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Oct 26 07:08:55 UTC 2020

Harry Putnam writes:
> >> So should I create the zfs fs  by
> >> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local p0/local
> >> zfs create ... p0/local/src
> >> zfs create ... p0/local/src/git
> >>
> >> (the -p option may be useful above.. I just want it
> >> to be clear what is being done)
> >>
> >> ending with /usr/local/src/git
> >>
> >> OR like this:
> >>
> >> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local p0/local
> >> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local/src  p0/src
> >> zfs create ... -o mountpoint=/usr/local/src/git  p0/git
> >
> > Certainly the former.  If you use the second version, all three moint-
> > points will be "local".  In the first version, the second (src) and
> > third mountpoints will be "inherited".
> >
> > So if you one day decide that you have seen the light and want to con-
> > vert to The One True local Mountpoint as Our Lord Intended It, you can
> > just change the first mount point to /opt/local, and the rest will
> > automatically inherit the new setting.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Sounds like the inherited mount point rates pretty high in your notion
> of what works best.
>
> I suspect you have other reasons as well, and I would like to hear
> about them if you don't mind expounding a bit more.
>
> For example:
> What baring[sp] would either way have on the ability to `send/receive'?
>
> I'm very inexperienced in send/receive:
>
> In the method you prefer, and the first on shown in OP, can $USER
> `send/receive' the whole of `local/src/git' in one move?  Or would it
> need to be broken down into three send/receive sessions?

Both will work.  Any dataset snapshot can be sent/received separately,
if you want.  But you can also use a recursive send where the dataset
itself and all "child datasets" will be included in the stream.  Check
out the "-r" and "-R" flags in the zfs(1M) man page.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"