[OpenIndiana-discuss] Docker

Till Wegmueller toasterson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 19:45:57 UTC 2021

Hi,

We do not have docker. On that note I also do not know what from docker
you actually would like to have. Docker offers a linux native way to
define images and share them among the community. These images
themselves are not docker. Docker thus has been transformed into a set
of Specifications under the Open Container Initiative (OCI). Docker has
infact become outdated and does not implement all OCI Standards cleanly
anymore. The main problem is that docker was never intended for
multi-os/multi arch images which are supported by OCI but are a clutch
to use in docker. If you ever used docker on a Raspberry PI You know
what I mean :) Any port of docker will have the same restrictions as
docker on Arm or FreeBSD does. Meaning you will have to have natively
compatible images.

The code that Volker posted is my attempt to implement OCI standard
specifications on top of out Native tooling. Please be aware that it is
alpha Quality and does only work when releases are made. Master is not
Guaranteed to build. Contributions are welcome. Also please note that I
am currently re planning how I want this to work and port this to Rust
rather than Go as this has been become the future language choice in
illumos for non gate and also illumos-gate tooling.

If you would like to use something more Production ready, we have zadm
which while it does not implement the OCI specs offers the same
workflow. We also have SmartOS from Joyent which is a Distribution
specifically made for this kind of image based workflow.

Hope this helps
-Till