[OpenIndiana-discuss] Docker

Austin Kim freennix at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 09:50:31 UTC 2021

On Apr 3, 2021, at 3:45 PM, Till Wegmueller <toasterson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We do not have docker. On that note I also do not know what from docker you actually would like to have. Docker offers a linux native way to define images and share them among the community. These images themselves are not docker. Docker thus has been transformed into a set of Specifications under the Open Container Initiative (OCI). Docker has infact become outdated and does not implement all OCI Standards cleanly anymore. The main problem is that docker was never intended for multi-os/multi arch images which are supported by OCI but are a clutch to use in docker. If you ever used docker on a Raspberry PI You know what I mean :) Any port of docker will have the same restrictions as docker on Arm or FreeBSD does. Meaning you will have to have natively compatible images.
>
> The code that Volker posted is my attempt to implement OCI standard specifications on top of out Native tooling. Please be aware that it is alpha Quality and does only work when releases are made. Master is not Guaranteed to build. Contributions are welcome. Also please note that I am currently re planning how I want this to work and port this to Rust rather than Go as this has been become the future language choice in illumos for non gate and also illumos-gate tooling.
>
> If you would like to use something more Production ready, we have zadm which while it does not implement the OCI specs offers the same workflow. We also have SmartOS from Joyent which is a Distribution specifically made for this kind of image based workflow.

This is PERFECT; the goal was to be able eventually to take OCI image-spec-like images, unpack them, and run them on an OCI runtime-spec-style runtime in OS containers (whether Illumos zones or FreeBSD jails) in a Docker-like way, but to be honest when I asked the question I myself wasn’t sure to what extent I would need to be able to download, use, and possibly share off-the-shelf Docker images versus just building custom images.

I’ve honestly never spun up a bare-metal system that actually ran Docker images and underappreciated how platform-specific they are.  The goal was never to run Illumos only then to turn around and run Linux VMs on them.  After thinking about it some more, I think the OCI model of being able to download an OCI image, unpack it into an OCI runtime filesystem bundle, and then run it on an OCI runtime is exactly what I’m looking for, not so much to be able to download and instantiate OTS Docker images per se.  I feel like your OpenCloud was designed and created as a solution _precisely_ for my use case before I myself even realized what problem I was trying to solve :P

I once took a calculus midterm and got stuck on a problem because I hadn’t memorized an inverse trigonometric function that I needed, when some kid next to me passed me an index card which I ignored.  After making no progress, curious, I turned the card over to find that on it was scrawled a messy integral identity with all these trigonometric and logarithmic terms.  Apparently he had noticed out of the corner of his eye which page I was on and where I was on the page and realized what was going on and took pity and passed me the stupid integral I needed.  (I mean, he didn’t outright give me the answer—you still had to do a lot of nontrivial work yourself with it—so it wasn’t, *completely* cheating :/ Afterwards I felt guilty so I started writing a note in the margin to give him proper credit, but then I realized that naming him might implicate him as an accessory to cheating, so I :\ scratched that out…)  Anyway the point is, you are that cool kid :)

If I can’t get OpenCloud to build and work on OpenIndiana, it’s reassuring to know I have _zadm_ to fall back on in OmniOSce, which from its man page looks equally amazing!

> Hope this helps
> -Till

Yes, omg, ty
Austin

> On 03.04.21 06:36, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
>>> Can anyone point me to some documentation for running Docker on Illumos/OpenIndiana?  A quick DuckDuckGo search turned up nothing (or maybe I just didn’t know where to look).  ’preciate it
>> You might want to look at this:
>>   https://git.wegmueller.it/OpenCloud/opencloud
>> Cheers -- Volker

P. S.  I’m both intrigued and fascinated by SmartOS, but for now I’m looking for a traditional disk-based OS rather than an in-memory OS that boots directly into RAM; also after taking a look at the IPS dev guide I am just in awe of IPS packaging and its seamless integration with SMF and BEs, even if I would never use half of IPS’s capabilities.  Like facets.  (If I ever got to the point where I’m considering utilizing facets functionality in IPS, I would question if maybe I’m at a point where that time would be perhaps better spent on say I don’t know like working on solving humanitarian problems or something.)

P. P. S.  I’ve never programmed in Rust, so I can’t speak to its merits, but is it really worth reïmplementing it in Rust?  Go has this unmistakably pure C-like spirit that somehow seems fitting and right for a UNIX environment…

“We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible.”  —Allan Massie, _A Question of Loyalties_, 1989