[OpenIndiana-discuss] Why networking not work?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Apr 9 17:46:51 UTC 2021

On April 8, 2021 1:12:42 PM UTC, Judah Richardson <judahrichardson at gmail.com> wrote:
>It looks to me like you're trying to SSH from a Debian host. My guess
>is
>that everything after $ssh jason@ is resolving to the host machine/OS,
>which is then rejecting the connection. I would guess the issue here
>lies
>in either Debian or VirtualBox.
>
>To test which machine ultimately receives your SSH request, try running
>an
>nmap scan of the IP address and port combo. I have no idea if that
>would
>work, but it's a good idea to figure out exactly which
>machine/OS/instance
>resetting the connection. So if nmap is inappropriate just use
>something
>else that determines that.
>

>On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 5:57 AM Jason Long via openindiana-discuss <
>openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I installed OpenIndiana as a VM in the VirtualBox and use "NAT" and
>"Port
>> Forwarding" in the network setting. When I tried to connect to the VM
>then
>> it showed me "Connection reset by peer":
>>
>> $ ssh jason at 127.0.0.1 -p8990 -v
>> OpenSSH_7.9p1 Debian-10+deb10u2, OpenSSL 1.1.1d  10 Sep 2019
>> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
>> debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
>> debug1: Connecting to 127.0.0.1 [127.0.0.1] port 8990.
>> debug1: Connection established.
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_ecdsa type -1
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_ecdsa-cert type -1
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_ed25519 type -1
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_ed25519-cert type -1
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_xmss type -1
>> debug1: identity file /home/jason/.ssh/id_xmss-cert type -1
>> debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.9p1 Debian-10+deb10u2
>> ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
>>
>> The OpenIndiana network configuration is:
>> https://i.postimg.cc/mDqdBrTy/OI.png
>>
>> How to solve it?
>>
>> Thank you.

Thinking of it, at some point I had mismatches of supported KEX (key exchange) algos, between various systems, when sone distro moved on and deprecated stuff and sone other did not yet, and two boxes ended up with none in common.

I did have it at some point a couple of years ago between a newer Debian and older OI or OO installations, but I don't think it manifested with fresh installs recently.

I may be confirmable by starting also the ssh server  with bumped verbosity (in shell or fixing up the service temporarily), and fix would lie in editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config on one of those systems.

Hope that helps,
Jim Klimov

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android