[OpenIndiana-discuss] Scientific packages for OI

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 21:37:05 UTC 2021

Robert's suggestion of Anaconda got me to thinking about maintaining some IPS packages for OI.

I typically build from source and have an  /app tree with symlinks from bin, lib, etc to the actual files so I can flip from one release to another with a couple of commands.  I've used the scheme for 10 years or so and it has worked very well.

That said, it should not be a significant effort for me to create IPS packages beyond learning  how to create a package.

Things of which I am aware and have an interest:

GLPK  (Gnu Linear Programming Kit)
gnuplot
Octave
Anaconda
Seismic Unix

R and Octave have a huge number of dependencies on BLAS and other math libraries.  In addition, the last time I tried, Octave would not build because the configuration files were borked.  But it shouldn't be that hard to write a shell script to build it.

There are, of course, many scientific packages.  Far more than I care to build, but I'm open to suggestions for additions to the list above.

Have Fun!
Reg