[OpenIndiana-discuss] New system planning comments

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Mon Apr 19 05:47:32 UTC 2021

On 04/18/21 12:05 PM, Carl Brewer wrote:

>> Ten years ago a VM was not viable for building OI, but 14 cores and
>> 64 GB of DRAM seems to me likely to handle it.  Is an OI VM running
>> on top of OI viable for building and testing?  In particular, how
>> good is VBox for that?  it's become very Windows host oriented.  I'm
>> also aware the Solaris USB support is not very good.  I'll have Win 7
>> and Debian available  running native on a Z400 if USB proves an issue
>> for working with microcontrollers which is my primary use case for
>> both of those.
>
> FWIW I use VBox on OI to host a bunch of GNU/Linux and NetBSD servers
> on a couple of basic Intel i5 consumer-grade PCs with 32GB of RAM.
> Runs fine, I'm not doing anything that uses a GUI, it's all just a
> virtual server that I get into using SSH.  It depends on what you're
> trying to get your guests to do and how much risk you're prepared to
> accept.  For my use case (virtualised UNIX servers to run Moodle,
> BIND, postfix etc) it's a very capable solution, cheap and so far
> (more than 10 years) bombproof.
>
> I knocked up some rudimentary start up scripts that use VNC to start
> the VBox GUI, but you can do it all just from the command line if you
> don't want the convenience of the VBox GUI. For me, ht VBox GUI is a
> compelling thing! I don't have the time to waste learning a bunch of
> PITA command line stuff when I can use the VBox GUI to make and manage
> VMs. "easy"
>
> Carl

Hi!

I have an 4core XEON and 32GB of RAM, and never had issues running my
linux/win virtualbox vms.

i recently managed to switch these to bhyve zones, and dedicated one pci
network adapter to a win vm, which worked flawlessly well - telling here
just to give an example. VNC console is possible, after install i use
SSH or RDP for win mostly.

I don't know about USB passthru, but PCI seems to work well.

Stephan