[OpenIndiana-discuss] RAIDZ2 root pool install fun :-(

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 23:31:33 UTC 2021

 FYI

I created the pool manually before installing into an existing pool as well as the dump and swap volumes afterwards. I was not aware of the other options in the text installer. I'll try those on the Z840.

rhb at NL40:~$ zfs list
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
rpool 11.5G 3.40T 180K /rpool
rpool/ROOT 1.56G 3.40T 140K legacy
rpool/ROOT/2020-10-net 1.56G 3.40T 1.21G /
rpool/ROOT/2020-10-net/var 317M 3.40T 315M /var
rpool/dump 4.00G 3.40T 4.00G -
rpool/export 424K 3.40T 140K /export
rpool/export/home 285K 3.40T 140K /export/home
rpool/export/home/rhb 145K 3.40T 145K /export/home/rhb
rpool/swap 5.95G 3.40T 81.4K -
rhb at NL40:~$ zpool status
 pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
 scan: none requested
config:

 NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
 rpool ONLINE 0 0 0
 raidz2-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
 c4t0d0s0 ONLINE 0 0 0
 c4t1d0s0 ONLINE 0 0 0
 c4t2d0s0 ONLINE 0 0 0
 c4t3d0s0 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors
rhb at NL40:~$

What's the deal with these device names? How do I get something more reasonable to type in? These are all 4 TB EFI labeled disks on the Z840 using format(1m).

/dev/dsk/c0t5000039A7B7002F3d0s0
/dev/dsk/c0t5000039A7B700305d0s0
/dev/dsk/c0t5000039A7B700306d0s0
/dev/dsk/c0t5000039A7B78030Fd0s0

Reg

On Monday, April 19, 2021, 05:47:36 PM CDT, John D Groenveld <groenveld at acm.org> wrote:

In message <34bf7cc2-5a0c-5c5e-b9ed-9f188e96186f at gmail.com>, Till Wegmueller wr
ites:
>Try Raidz1, Raidz2 as root had some problems when I tried last. Although
>that was 1-2 years ago. So it might work now. But I have not yet seen
>any installation with RAIDZ2 as root it's quite rare.

RAIDZ[1-3] seem to work fine, but as Toomas Soome has repeatedly
warned here, all the vdevs should be accessible from the boot loader.
Escape to the loader prompt from the boot menu and run lsdev.
I have submitted a PR for the Handbook.
<URL:http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/#install-openindiana-to-existing-zfs-pool>

John
groenveld at acm.org