[OpenIndiana-discuss] WTF?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 17:46:01 UTC 2021

The nvidia-340 driver caused a kernel panic on my Z840 with a Quadro K5000 when I ran nvidia-xconfig.

So I booted single user, attempted to uninstall it, but pkg wouldn't let me until I also uninstalled xorg-video.

But when I tried to install nvidia-390 I generated a series of  "requires Reject:"  messages which has been running across the console for 20 minutes listing the same pkgs over and over.  I tried Ctrl-C and Ctrl-D but nothing stops it.  It appears to be in an infinite loop.

Eventually I just dropped the power and redo the install but with snapshots and BEs so I can back up.

nvidia-460, nvidia-390 and nvidia-340 all support the Quadro K5000, so I'm rather baffled at the behavior.  It's particularly frustrating because I had a similar issue with 2021.04_rc1 on a Z400 with a Quadro FX 1800 and was able to switch from nvidia-390 to nvidia-340 without significant trouble.  And I installed 2020.10 and set it up to build userland a few days ago with the nVIDIA driver installed.

FWIW I agree about the need for identifying the disk. But it seems to me that "zpool status" is where the device info belongs.  I just wrote a script to map physical device names from messages to logical device names.

Reg