[OpenIndiana-discuss] HP Z840/K5000 fun :-(

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 22:04:48 UTC 2021

2020.10 will only  run the Desktop in 1024x768 using VESA.  An install will boot in 1024x768, but I've been unable to sort out how to get the 390 driver to install in place of the 340 driver.  I was able to do the reverse with 2021.04_rc1, but either I forgot a step or something is different.

2021.04_rc1 boots the Live Image  Desktop at 1600x1200 which is full monitor resoultion.  However, the installed image crashes when it tries to start X.  I've not been able to glean much data yet.

However, running from the Live Image I have mounted the RAIDZ2 root pool and will post log files to issue #13706.   /var/adm/messages and /var/log/Xorg.0.log are obvious candidates.  What other data would be useful?  I had not enabled dump files as it crashed on the reboot after the install and the 2021.04_rc1 installed sysem doesn't do that by default.  I think it should as it would be easy for a new user to overlook the need to do that.

If anyone would like, I'll boot single user, enable dumps and provide whatever information someone can tell me how to get.

Having mounted and examined the ISOs and poked around the in-core filesystem, it's not at all clear to me how the installed image and the Live Image are related.

I have ISOs for S11.4 and S10 u11 and am happy to install those if someone thinks it will provide information.  But the 2021.04_rc1 Live Image Desktop looks great.  Just what it should.  As I had the opposite experiences with 2020.10 and 2021.04_rc1 on the Desktop live Image boots on the Z400 and Z840 it seems likely to be either a BIOS setting or HW.

Reg