[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Thu Apr 22 15:20:24 UTC 2021

I don't reinstall from an image, but run pkg update almost daily, and have rarely (maybe once, a long time ago) run into anything that didn't boot properly again (such that I had to boot an older BE and get rid of the failed one). That's as VirtualBox guests (usually current VirtualBox, except that right now, 6.1.20 aborted VMs on startup, so I reverted to 6.1.18 and its extension pack, which is fine), on a macOS host (currently Mojave).

root at openindiana:~# uname -a;cat /etc/release
SunOS openindiana 5.11 illumos-64b8fdd9a2 i86pc i386 i86pc
             OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.10 (powered by illumos)
        OpenIndiana Project, part of The Illumos Foundation (C) 2010-2020
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                           Assembled 31 October 2020