[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 15:53:03 UTC 2021

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 10:20 AM Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net>
wrote:

> I don't reinstall from an image, but run pkg update almost daily, and have
> rarely (maybe once, a long time ago) run into anything that didn't boot
> properly again (such that I had to boot an older BE and get rid of the
> failed one).

This has been my experience running OI Hipster on a Dell OptiPlex 390 MT
<https://github.com/jdrch/Hardware/blob/master/Dell%20OptiPlex%20390%20MT.md>
(specs and config at link) with legacy boot. Aside from the initial
installation challenges and some instability running with 8 GB (upgrading
to 16 GB fixed that) RAM, I haven't experienced any bugs that prevent OI
from running or booting smoothly. I update pkg and pkgin at least once a
month (usually coinciding with Patch Tuesday), which is also the only time
I ever have to reboot (solely to move to the new BE).

In addition to OI, I run Debian, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Windows 10 (2 release
channels), and Raspberry Pi OS all on bare metal. Although the lack of
package support/availability limits its usefulness relative to the other
OSes for my workflow, OI has been the most stable and reliable of the
bunch. In fact, I frequently use OI's out of the box integrated DE as a
model for FreeBSD to follow.

I track issues with my OS installations on GitHub
<https://github.com/jdrch/Hardware/issues>, and currently of the 19 open, only
1 is an OI issue <https://github.com/jdrch/Hardware/issues/93>. That issue
is one I theoretically have the solution to, but haven't had time to
implement (plus thanks to the magic of DHCP IP address lease renewal, it's
easy to work around.)

That's as VirtualBox guests (usually current VirtualBox, except that right