[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu Apr 22 22:12:34 UTC 2021

After my last message, I ran "pkg install" on the OpenIndiana VM
created from the text-mode installer on CentOS 7.9.2009, to get gcc,
build-essential, and a few other packages installed.  That went as
expected.

I then ran

    # pkg update
    # pkg upgrade

That updated 347 packages and 8074 files, then reported

    A clone of openindiana exists and has been updated and activated.
    On the next boot the Boot Environment openindiana-2021:04:22 will be
    mounted on '/'.  Reboot when ready to switch to this updated BE.

I typed

    # reboot

and the system came partly up with

    ZFS: i/o error - all block copies available
    No rootfs module provided, aborting

The VM was allocated an 80GB disk, 2GB DRAM, and 2 CPUs, and the
physical CentOS 7.8.2009 host has 1.8TB free space.

I powered off the VM, increased the DRAM from 2GB to 8GB, and retried,
but behavior is identical.  Another attempt with 1 CPU and 32GB DRAM
got the same failure.

I powered off, rebooted from the ISO image, logged in as
root/openindiana, and ran

    # zpool import
    # df -h /rpool
    Filesystem    Size  Used    Available Capacity Mounted on
    rpool       77.02G   33K    70.01G        1%   /rpool

    # ls /rpool
    boot

    # ls /rpool/boot
    grub     menu.lst

So, the disk looks like it has almost been wiped clean, which should
not be the case after all of the package updating.

Things were not this bad with earlier OpenIndiana releases over the
last almost 11 years, back to my first VM for this O/S created on
14-Sep-2010 from oi-dev-147-x86.iso.