[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu Apr 22 22:45:57 UTC 2021

Following my report a few minutes ago of a failure to reboot after
package updates, Volker A. Brandt kindly suggested a recovery attempt
like this:

    # zfs list -tall
    # mkdir /tmp/mypool
    # zpool import -R /tmp/mypool rpool

That showed that the installed files from the pkg system are there, so
I ran

    # zpool export
    # reboot

However, that brings me back to the boot prompt with the old complaint

    ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
    ZFS: can't read MOS of pool rpool
    Can't find /boot/loader
    Can't find /boot/zfsloader

I forgot to mention in my earlier report that in the text-mode
install, I chose MBR booting, rather than UEFI; the latter does not
work on the QEMU version available on CentOS 7.

Ideas of what to do next?