[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sat Apr 24 19:52:32 UTC 2021

[This is temporarily off the openindiana-discuss mailing list]

You wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2021 11:58:06 -0400

>> That is after the boot loader menu.
>> The second page of loader includes an option to boot from alt BEs.

If I use the virt-manager menu to send Ctl-Alt-Del, I get this output:

	Press ESC for boot menu.

I quickly press ESC, producing:

	1. AHCI/0: QEMU HARDDISK ...
	2. DVD/CD ...
	3. Legacy option rom
	4. iPXE ...

I press 1 and get

	Booting from Hard Disk...
	BIOS drive C: is disk0
	ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
	ZFS: can't read MOS of pool rpool

	Can't find /boot/loader

	Can't find /boot/zfsloader

	illumos/x86 boot
	Default: /boot/loader
	boot:

At that point, I no idea how to get to a ``second page of loader
options.''

The boot prompt is opaque: it only prompts again when I try input like
"?", "help", "boot", ESCape, F1, F2, ..., F12, PageUp, PageDown, ....

I find it often aggravating that BIOS code is so low level and
unusable without a separate manual.