[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Sat Apr 24 20:05:37 UTC 2021

> On 24. Apr 2021, at 22:52, Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> [This is temporarily off the openindiana-discuss mailing list]
>
> You wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2021 11:58:06 -0400
>
>>> That is after the boot loader menu.
>>> The second page of loader includes an option to boot from alt BEs.
>
> If I use the virt-manager menu to send Ctl-Alt-Del, I get this output:
>
> 	Press ESC for boot menu.
>
> I quickly press ESC, producing:
>
> 	1. AHCI/0: QEMU HARDDISK ...
> 	2. DVD/CD ...
> 	3. Legacy option rom
> 	4. iPXE ...
>
> I press 1 and get
>
> 	Booting from Hard Disk...
> 	BIOS drive C: is disk0
> 	ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
> 	ZFS: can't read MOS of pool rpool
>
> 	Can't find /boot/loader
>
> 	Can't find /boot/zfsloader
>
> 	illumos/x86 boot
> 	Default: /boot/loader
> 	boot:
>
> At that point, I no idea how to get to a ``second page of loader
> options.''

At that point, you can’t. You got to boot loader stage1 program (gptzfsboot) and its prompt (boot: prompt). It is failing to read zfs pool to load and start next stage - /boot/loader). At this point, only simple diagnostics is possible - you can enter: status to get list of disks and ?path (like ?/) to get directory listing from path. Also you can enter alternate file name to be loaded and alternate disk device to load from. See also gptzfsboot(5).

I can not guess what does trigger this situation, but one option is to start from alternate media (usb/iso), and check out what is going on there - what does zpool scrub tell etc.

rgds,
toomas