[OpenIndiana-discuss] rpool mirror disk problems when moved to different slot

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri Aug 6 11:06:17 UTC 2021

On 06/08/2021 11:19, Stephan Althaus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> i just added a new disk to my system, which i put into the slot where a
> mirror disk of my rpool resided.
>
> The mirror disk of my rpool went to a other slot, so the device name was
> changed c27t1d0 -> c27t0d0
>
> Booting into my OI system, the zpool was found as the first mirror disk
> was there,
> but the second partition was not found.
>

> Is there a chance that the rpool mount procedure could try harder to
> find the mirrors, even when moved ??
>

> Yes i know this may be a rare case :-/

Not so rare, I had this problem when moving a ZFS pool from Openindiana
to Linux and then back. I'm quite sure that it has to do with the fact
that devices are recorded in the label ('zdb -l /dev/dsk/c.t..s0'), and
since somewhere around 2016 the importer seems to peek into this and
refuses to import when it's not the present device. My solution was to
import it to an older Openindiana (which seems to ignore the label
device, as it should) and reexport it to have the device entries in
the label corrected (you can't change it with a binary editor since the
checksums will be invalid).