[OpenIndiana-discuss] N54L any known issues?

Michelle michelle at msknight.com
Sun Aug 8 10:42:31 UTC 2021

Bit of an odd one this, the last couple of days have been a bit of
drama.

To cut to the long story, the OS drive (an SSD) failed... in the middle
of dealing with the failed "tank" pool

I replaced it and built the OS again on a new drive, but that's failed
as well in less than a day with checksum errors.

I've got a memory check on the list of things to do, but beyond that
I'm at a bit of a blank. I'm also planning to replace the new SSD with
another SSD... but if that fails in short order as well, then I'm going
to be pointing the finger at the server itself.

The copying from backup drive is continuing, although I can't log into
the server to check anything as any logon prompt just hangs... which is
understandable.

I know that the other N54L was failing drives on one of the SATA
channels and my conclusion is that it wasn't the drives at fault... so
I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of SATA channel breakdowns on
the N54L units.

It's regularly cleaned of excess dust, etc. so it's not the kind of a
box that's left to gather dust and rot until failure.