[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI install on current gen desktop motherboards?

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Tue Aug 10 21:51:05 UTC 2021

I originally posted this to OI-userland by mistake!

G'day,

One of my aging (10 years!) OpenSolaris/OI box needs to be replaced,
it's a timebomb now.

I'm looking at using a 10th or 11th gen Intel i5, probably a i5-10400F
or 11400F, it's the sweet spot for value here. LGA1200 socket.

Looking at using Gigabyte desktop motherboards because I've always found
them to be reliable over many years.

There's  H410M, B460M and B560M chipset boards that seem reasonably
priced.  Any compelling reason to go with one of them in particular?

I had a hell of a time getting initial installs working on a 9th gen
motherboard about two years ago, has that story changed?  I remember
having to do all sorts of weird stuff with custom builds and BIOS changes.

I had a look at the OI and Illumos HCLs but nothing recent seems to be
there.

Thank you,

Carl