[OpenIndiana-discuss] SSDs for OI hipster ZFS root mirror?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 11:36:02 UTC 2021

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 10:32 AM James <list at xdrv.uk> wrote:

> On 19/08/2021 23:58, Carl Brewer wrote:
> > Further to this - is it worth disabling atime on the ZFS root pool
> > that's on the SSDs? I don't imagine it's a lot of data, but it would add
> > up over the years.
>
> Do you ever look at the access times?

On some occasions, this is very useful - you can work out what
software installed is actually in use, and it's a way of detecting
unexpected things running.

We turn it off at $WORK because of two things - we run pkg
verify every night, which means the access times are meaningless
because we read every file daily anyway, and we hold a lot of
regular snapshots and the atime writes end up consuming a significant
amount of snapshot space.

--
-Peter Tribble