[OpenIndiana-discuss] SSDs for OI hipster ZFS root mirror?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Aug 21 12:14:40 UTC 2021

Seems like the Linux style O_NOATIME flag (usable only by root - or on Solaris derivatives, possibly with a fine-grained permission) might be a useful addition to the OS, so that system programs that read a lot of files can avoid causing massive time updates that either generate excess I/O and obscure meaningful atimes, or have one mounting with the noatime option that makes them useless entirely.

Needless to say, programs like pkg would have to be modified a bit to use it on whatever they opened read-only that they didn't want to cause the atime to be updated on.

I think there are some things like old fashioned style mail directories where one really needs atime updates; and over and above forensics or similar situations, there are a fair number of other cases where it might be useful, such as to find and possibly get rid of unused files in certain directories.