[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS 0+1 across disparate drives

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 10:22:10 UTC 2021

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 11:32 AM Michelle <michelle at msknight.com> wrote:

> This is probably going to be a stupid question, as I know that several
> year ago, the answer to this question would be no... but times change.
>
> Like many people, I have a collection of disparate drives sitting
> around doing nothing.
>
> I was thinking of getting them together in a RAID 1+0 configuration.
>
> Say I was to put a 2tb, three 4tb and a 6tb together (a 2 and two 4
> would make 10 and the other 4 and the 6 would also make 10)
>
> Would that be possible with ZFS now?
>
> Michelle.

Another possibility may be , perhaps , as follows :

Attach these disks to your system(s) .
Prepare rsync containing shell script(s) .
Using cron , execute these shell script(s) to synchronize your disks
suitable to your needs.
Updates may not be instantaneous as RAID , but at least are working with
respect to your design .

With my best wishes for all of you ,

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk