[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS 0+1 across disparate drives

James list at xdrv.uk
Wed Dec 1 11:17:10 UTC 2021

On 01/12/2021 08:31, Michelle wrote:
> Say I was to put a 2tb, three 4tb and a 6tb together (a 2 and two 4
> would make 10 and the other 4 and the 6 would also make 10)
>
> Would that be possible with ZFS now?

I think it has always been possible, ask is is sensible?  Try it, if you
have nothing to loose.  The problem is if one drive fails is takes out
all of one side of the mirror.

Why not use 2 separate 4TB mirrors?  4&4 = 4, 4&6 = 4, total 8.  You
loose the 2TB drive completely but (guessing) it is the slowest and
oldest.  You ignore 2TB of the 6.

You don't say what you are trying to achieve but it's unlikely you have
the full 8TB of data, it is unlikely it can't be split.