[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fwd: ZFS 0+1 across disparate drives

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Wed Dec 1 23:33:26 UTC 2021

Yes, you can use whatever drives you have but don't expect it to have
consistence performance.

Each mirrored vdev will be as slow as the slowest drive. I would not put
a green drive in the pool. Green drives have this nasty habit of
spinning down to save power and be green like kermit the frog.

I put 96 WD green drives in a pool spread across four chassis. The
infant mortality rate on those drives was insane. For the first three
months one to three drives would fail every week. Was that due to
vibration? All the spin/down because of the array was fairly active?
Just a crappy production run? I dont know, but I will never do that again.

j.