[OpenIndiana-discuss] ~6 minutes to OI banner/boot options in text install

Tony Brian Albers tba at kb.dk
Mon Feb 1 13:38:32 UTC 2021

On 01/30/21 02:02 AM, Chris wrote:
> OK just dragged a Dell Optiplex 790 off the shelf
> with a 4 core 8 thread i5 CPU in it, and as much RAM
> as I could jam in it.
> BIOS:
> boot UEFI
> SATA ahci
> I've tried 2 different Nvidia cards, as well as the
> intermal video. The results are the same;
> 2.5 minutes to get to the OI banner/boot options.
> An additiona 3.5 to draw the OI banner/options screen.
> It takes ~0.5 seconds to draw each cell. To be clear;
> I'm not complaining here. Rather, I'm trying to
> pinpoint WTF is going wrong in hopes of overcoming
> the problem. I've attempted to put OI on 3 different
> computers now, and the results have all been
> underwhelming in the console dept.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thank you for all your time, and consideration.
>
> --Chris

Maybe a stupid question, but are you booting from a USB-stick or a DVD?

I've tried on two machines recently, one is an i7/32GB RAM with a NVIDIA
K2200 card and the other an i3/8GB RAM just got the Intel card on the CPU.

Both booted to the banner/boot screen within maybe 10secs and the
options screen shows up maybe 30 secs after exiting the boot options screen.

Both machines booted from a cheap 8GB USB stick.

I used legacy boot, not UEFI.

Both have SSD's as internal disks. One also has a SATA 3,5" 7200rpm
drive, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

/tony

--
Tony Albers - Systems Architect - IT Development Royal Danish Library,
Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark