[OpenIndiana-discuss] ~6 minutes to OI banner/boot options in text install

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Fri Feb 5 17:06:23 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-01 05:38, Tony Brian Albers wrote:
> On 01/30/21 02:02 AM, Chris wrote:
>> OK just dragged a Dell Optiplex 790 off the shelf
>> with a 4 core 8 thread i5 CPU in it, and as much RAM
>> as I could jam in it.
>> BIOS:
>> boot UEFI
>> SATA ahci
>> I've tried 2 different Nvidia cards, as well as the
>> intermal video. The results are the same;
>> 2.5 minutes to get to the OI banner/boot options.
>> An additiona 3.5 to draw the OI banner/options screen.
>> It takes ~0.5 seconds to draw each cell. To be clear;
>> I'm not complaining here. Rather, I'm trying to
>> pinpoint WTF is going wrong in hopes of overcoming
>> the problem. I've attempted to put OI on 3 different
>> computers now, and the results have all been
>> underwhelming in the console dept.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thank you for all your time, and consideration.
>>
>> --Chris
>>

> Maybe a stupid question, but are you booting from a USB-stick or a DVD?
Not a stupid question. :-)
I tried both. I also installed to SATA based platters.

> I've tried on two machines recently, one is an i7/32GB RAM with a NVIDIA
> K2200 card and the other an i3/8GB RAM just got the Intel card on the CPU.
>
> Both booted to the banner/boot screen within maybe 10secs and the
> options screen shows up maybe 30 secs after exiting the boot options screen.
>
> Both machines booted from a cheap 8GB USB stick.
>
> I used legacy boot, not UEFI.
I tried both UEFI && BIOS, 2 different Nvidia cards, and 2 different Intel
chipsets. As well as 2 AMDs with the 2 Nvidia cards. Results in all cases
were disappointing.

> Both have SSD's as internal disks. One also has a SATA 3,5" 7200rpm
> drive, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
No difference for me either.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Tony. :-)

> /tony
--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX