[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mailing list etiquette reminder

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Mon Feb 1 22:11:37 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-01 06:32, Tony Brian Albers wrote:
> On 01/31/21 05:53 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 11:48:35PM -0600, Judah Richardson wrote:
>>> Just a small question: are we being attacked by chatbots?
>>>
>>> There seems to be a spate of users recently posting rapid fire questions
>>> and topics combined with relatively few statements and English that leaves
>>> a few things to be desired.
>>
>> We also should welcome new people, not drive them away.  People learn
>> by making mistakes.  That's quite normal and usual.  In fact, we need
>> new people.  If somebody asks a question, refer them to a place where
>> they can find the answer.  Please be tolerant.
>>

> +1
>
> Of course nobody should accept rude behaviour, but as the old FreeBSD
> CoC used to say:
> "Try not to take offense where no offense was intended. Not everyone
> speaks or writes English fluently. Not everyone can express themselves
> clearly. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Even if the intent was to
> provoke, do not rise to it."
+1

> And one more thing: Some people are more impulsive
English slang: knee jerk reaction.
I regret being guilty from time to time.
Humble suggestion; Before replying, go make a pot of coffee. If you're
a smoker. Go have a cigarette. And by all means FINISH your first cup of
coffee. :-)

> than other, some
> can't even help it. So 3 emails with three different subjects in one
> hour might not be because the writer is trying to be annoying. Maybe
> they just need to get it out before they forget it, and maybe having a
> subject per thread is the only way that works for them.
>
> I do agree with Reginald's email in general, but phrases like:
> "If I see 3-4 posts by one person in the course of 2-3 minutes, I simply
> delete them without reading any of them.  I am not the only one who does
> this.  So instead of getting an authoritative answer, you will get
>
> Makes me think about what the required time-between-posts might be. I
> don't know. I've probably not lived up to it.
> And I also start thinking about how it helps OpenIndiana in general when
> only "people who don't actually know what they are talking about." reply
> to newcomer's questions.
>
> In my opinion attitudes like these don't strengthen a community, it
> kills it. But that's probably just me.
>
> My apologies if this email is a bit of a mess, I only have a high school
> degree, I have a neurological disorder, and english is not my primary
> language.
Your english rivals many "native speakers". I'm giving you an extra star
for also having good grammer. :-)

> /tony
--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX