[OpenIndiana-discuss] catching hell getting booted

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Thu Feb 4 01:17:44 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-03 16:41, John D Groenveld wrote:
> In message <alpine.GSO.2.20.2102031835160.18403 at scrappy.simplesystems.org>,
> Bob
>  Friesenhahn writes:
>> Yes, dd works the same using Linux.  Just make sure to select the
>> correct device to write to or your system may be destroyed.
>
> The handbook offers good advice for identifying the correct
> device name:
> <URL:http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/#creating-a-hipster-usb-drive>
FWIW (as it's not mentioned in the above link)
If you have FreeBSD installed. I have always use the following:
# my USB stick is located as /dev/da1
# OI image is OI-hipster-gui-20201031.usb in current dir (PWD)

% dd if=OI-hipster-gui-20201031.usb of=/dev/da1 bs=1m conv=sync

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX