[OpenIndiana-discuss] catching hell getting booted

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 5 03:23:06 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 01:06:12PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I've been running an hp xw8600 for several years and for about 5-6 of
> those yrs running openindiana OS.
>
> A month ago or so I shutdown OI to change out a couple of disks.
>
> Once I did that I have not been able to use any of the oi installation
> media I've made up.  Both usb stick and DVD fails to boot,  No matter
> how I set the boot order. And even though those  same stick media will
> boot my HP Z800 to live media for OI install.
>
> I've tried all I can think, changing usb ports,  Trying ISO from CD.
> The xw8600 has two of those,  I set the boot order to CDrom first but it
> goes right buy with out a response and tries to boot from disk.

It sounds as if you are not really setting the boot order in the BIOS.
Could it really that simple?  HP does do some funny things with their
BIOS.  Are you saving your changes after you make them?  Does the BIOS
show the new boot order after the boot fails?

Some systems will not boot from USB, but in that case they will still
boot from a CD reader.  I don't think that's your problem.