[OpenIndiana-discuss] raidz2 as compared to 1:1 mirrors

reader reader at newsguy.com
Sun Feb 21 22:10:25 UTC 2021

Tried to understand a couple of space calculators on line that are
suppoded to show the rough space you end up with using the different
zfs raid configs.

I will have 8 2tb drives that I'd like to run in raidz2.

My usual setup has always been 1 to 1 matching mirrored disks.

So the loss in space that way is bit over 8TB or 50% and a bit more I
think.

If I understood the space calculator correctly it says I'll have
nearly 11 tb usable out of the 16 raw.  That is quite a bit more
space than 1:1 mirrors.

Can anyone who actually uses raidz2 verify if the figures sound about
right?