[OpenIndiana-discuss] raidz2 as compared to 1:1 mirrors

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 22:24:57 UTC 2021

With the exception of perhaps ReFS on Storage Spaces (due to the ability to
have multiple volumes with different redundancies in the same pool), all
CoW filesystem RAID schemes have the same basic *theoretical max* (note the
emphasis) storage calculation equation:

Usable storage, S = (N-p)C, where:

N = total number of disks
p = number of parity disks
C = (lowest) capacity per disk

So in your case, total theoretical max (read: actual value may be smaller
due to implementation details) = (8-2)*2 = 6*2 = 12 TB. The actual usable
space is lower <https://wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl> due to ZFS' reservations
(the implementation I mentioned earlier).

TL,DR: Yeah the results you're getting should be correct.