[OpenIndiana-discuss] export 2 pools from linux running zfs : import with OI

reader reader at newsguy.com
Sun Feb 21 22:43:43 UTC 2021

I'd like to eventually figure some way to get oi installed on my HP
xw8600

There was a time, A little before build 147 when I was able to install
OI onto this same hardware, and able to run it for several years.
Updating periodically.

A sort of catastrophe happened a few months ago involving disk
failures causing me to replace 2 and add 2 more, But needing to
reinstall from scratch.

However all my attempts just fail repeatedly.  I've tried both DVD and
USB media, I've gone back to 2018, 2019, 201031.  Eventually the
attempted install collapses with all services failed into `maint' mode
where nothing seems to be possible.

Someone more skilled than I may be able to get it going... I haven't
been able.

I heard a few other people have had similar trouble .. not sure how
similar.

In the meantime I decided to go with linux running zfs (ubuntu 20.04).
Which on my hardware, is possible to install from Either DVD or usb,
with no problem.

I'm hoping I may eventually get OI installed with new releases.  If that
seems possible, will I be able to export 2 zpools (not rpool) from the
linux install, and then install OI erasing what was rpool in linux, and
make that the rpool for OI, then import the pools exported under
linux?

I suspect that may not be possible but would like to hear about it
from someone who isn't guessing like I am.