[OpenIndiana-discuss] raidz2 as compared to 1:1 mirrors

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Mon Feb 22 04:32:11 UTC 2021

11 TB is about right. Your 2TB disks will be "smaller" by nature of
reporting differences. Much of that is difference between how drive
manufacturers report a megabyte as 1,000,000 bytes and computers report
a megabyte 1048576 bytes.

In a nutshell, in your raidz2 vdev you have eight drives. Two drives are
for parity so you have six drives for data. 6*2 = 12TB less the
accounting differences gives you 11TB and change.

This gives you space at the price of performance. You will have the
write performance of roughly one disk and the read performance of six
disks, excluding cache of course. That might be peachy for your
application or it might not.  The best part is, you get to judge.

I almost never use raidz* if performance is a consideration.

j.