[OpenIndiana-discuss] "format -e" segmentation fault attempting to label a 5 TB disk in Hipster 2017.10

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 21 23:56:37 UTC 2021

>On Sunday, February 21, 2021, 02:53:48 PM CST, Toomas Soome <tsoome at me.com> wrote:

>Hipster 2017 is 4 years old, please use current version. If it still is dumping core, please file issue/let
>us know.

If the developers/maintainers can't/won't verify this themselves I don't see much future for SunOS/Illumos. I find that heartbreaking, but I'm not in a position to do anything about it. It's a lot easier to plug a large hard drive into a current system and do a "format -e" than it is to sort through the complications of doing an upgrade from 2017.10. As I read the wiki, I have to do at least 2 upgrades to get to the current release. It's arguably simpler to backup my files, do a fresh install and restore my files.

My earlier question about grub was motivated not by a failure to research the subject, but the failure to document *in* /boot/grub what the various files are. I see absolutely no reason that boot strap files for other systems should be in /boot/grub for OI. "I read it on the Internet" doesn't count for much. There are far too many native English speakers who cannot write grammatically correct sentences.

I downloaded the most recent ISO images today. If I boot the LiveImage and "format -e" still dumps core on a segmentation fault I shall simply move to BSD or Linux for Internet access and keep my offline Solaris 10 system for use when I have serious work to do. I've used a dozen or so *nix debuggers. The Sun/Forte dbx is by far the best.

I've done my turn at software support and system administration starting with a MicroVAX II world box in the late 80's. After maintaining about 2.5 million lines of other people's code I'd like to do something else in the time I have remaining.

Reg