[OpenIndiana-discuss] "format -e" segmentation fault attempting to label a 5 TB disk in Hipster 2017.10

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 16:10:27 UTC 2021

 I have 4 Z400s. I just configured one to dual boot Windows 7 Pro and Debian 9.3. I had no trouble putting a label on the 5 TB disk using Debian and then accessing it via "format -e" using the u8 install DVD shell and writing an EFI label. Attempting to print the partition table was problematic because the number of entries exceeds the number of lines on the screen. Being able to see what I was doing was generally difficult as the shell terminal properties are a bit of a puzzle. TERM=sun seemed to work the best, but vi was still pretty much unusable.

I'm rather militant about segmentation faults. As simple as they are to locate and trap, failure to do so is inexcusable. Rather like using gets(3c) in a program.

I wanted to backup the system before I tried to fix grub, but after Toomas' confirmation that the "stage1" and "stage2" files are the correct files I feel more comfortable about installing grub on all 3 disks.

The BIOS is thoroughly weird. On my 3 $100 Z400s the POST took an inordinate amount of time even after I updated the BIOS. Then after I configured one to dual boot Windows and Debian it is now much quicker. Nary a clue as to what was changed or what changed it. I'd gone over the BIOS setup in great detail several times without finding any relief.

Reg

     On Monday, February 22, 2021, 08:21:15 AM CST, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:

 On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 01:14:26AM +0000, Jim Klimov wrote:

> The cmdk (and pci-ide) in device paths suggest IDE (emulated?) disk
> access; I am not sure the protocol supported more than some limit
> that was infinite-like in 90's or so.

If there is really such a limit for IDE emulation, then format should
describe the limit in an error message, instead of terminating with a
segmentation fault.

> Can you place it to SATA (possibly changing BIOS settings, and at a
> risk of loading with live media to export-import rpool with new
> device paths)?

The usual setting is AHCI on the disk controller.  My HP z400 had no
AHCI setting, but did have an AHCI+RAID setting.  This is known as a
fake raid controller.  This web page helped me install OI on it:

    https://superuser.com/questions/635829/how-do-i-install-solaris-on-a-fake-raid-a-k-a-ahciraid-sata-sas-controller/635830#635830

--
-Gary Mills-        -refurb-        -Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada-