[OpenIndiana-discuss] "format -e" segmentation fault attempting to label a 5 TB disk in Hipster 2017.10

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon Feb 22 14:20:55 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 01:14:26AM +0000, Jim Klimov wrote:

> The cmdk (and pci-ide) in device paths suggest IDE (emulated?) disk
> access; I am not sure the protocol supported more than some limit
> that was infinite-like in 90's or so.

If there is really such a limit for IDE emulation, then format should
describe the limit in an error message, instead of terminating with a
segmentation fault.

> Can you place it to SATA (possibly changing BIOS settings, and at a
> risk of loading with live media to export-import rpool with new
> device paths)?

The usual setting is AHCI on the disk controller.  My HP z400 had no
AHCI setting, but did have an AHCI+RAID setting.  This is known as a
fake raid controller.  This web page helped me install OI on it:

    https://superuser.com/questions/635829/how-do-i-install-solaris-on-a-fake-raid-a-k-a-ahciraid-sata-sas-controller/635830#635830