[OpenIndiana-discuss] "format -e" segmentation fault attempting to label a 5 TB disk in Hipster 2017.10

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 22:27:27 UTC 2021

 format(1m) is an application, not kernel source. Therefore, finding where it is crashing is trivial.

#dbx /usr/sbin/format
>run -e
(select large drive)
>where

The issue is that it crashes from a SEGV instead of doing something sensible. The version on Solaris 10 u8 is *very* old. But if a label has been put on the drive already it will happily handle drives over 2 TB in the u8 single user install media shell. You get a choice of writing an MBR or EFI label. The former won't allow access to the full drive, but the EFI label will.

I reported the OI version of format(1m) crashing a *very* long time ago. I found a note I made about this problem in oi151_a7 8 or 9 years ago. I had similar fun with a 3 TB USB drive.

I set up my Ultra 20 to build OI and did a build, but when I asked on the dev lists for guidance in making the new build boot I got no response.  As easy a fix as the format SEGV is I was quite happy to do that as well as address some of the other large drive related issues.

There are a number of complications with regard to sector size, total number of sectors, etc. I've been using a 3 TB SATA on Solaris 10 u8 for 10 years. The first one had 512 byte sectors. When it failed the replacement had 2k sectors. That was its own little adventure, but I got it working and later added a 2nd 3 TB drive to form a mirror.

If someone doing support work on OI does not have a >2 TB bare drive with which to test whether the bug in format(1m) is actually fixed in a more recent release, they are not capable of testing a fix. There is nothing magical about 5 TB. It's what I had on hand.

With my most important system down, doing an update on my internet access host is a complete non-starter.  Especially when my router is not working.  I bought a new one and will address the issues I was having with my WRT54GL and DD-WRT at some other time.

As it happens, with the confirmation from Toomas  about installing grub I decided to skip making a backup before repairing grub.

I've been planning to update my Hipster instance, but not without having an alternative means of internet access available.

Reg